The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) – Your Questions Answered
WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) is a series of web accessibility guidelines of the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) – the major international Internet standards organization.
What does WCAG mean for my website?
Any business that has a website should make sure that its content is accessible to both people with disabilities and to all users accessing your website through a device with limited capacity like a smart phone, a tablet, etc. – such websites are called mobile-responsive.
Why do I have to comply with these guidelines?
Regardless of where your business is located, its online presence should provide the necessary accessibility and great user experience to all users (including disabled ones). Despite the ethical reasons behind this, though, more and more countries around the world include legal reasons for businesses to comply with these principles as well.
What are the principles of WCAG 2.0?
All the information and user interface components of your website must be presented in ways users can perceive:
- providing text alternatives to non-text content;
- making it easier for users to see and hear different content;
- providing alternatives for time-based media;
All functionalities of your website should be easy to operate:
- it should be available from a keyboard;
- users should be provided enough time to read and use your website’s content;
- your website’s design should be created in a way that it doesn’t cause seizures;
- your website should provide users with ways to easily determine where they are on the website;
- it should be easy for users to navigate and find the content that they need;
Your website’s text content should be easy to read (and understand); your webpages should appear (and operate) in predictable ways, etc.
Your website’s content should be compatible with different devices (including those using assistive technologies), etc., the so called mobile-responsive design.
That’s too technical for me to cope with. Can you help with this?
Yes! At TCP, we have a team of dedicated professionals that will make sure your new website (or your updated website):
- is formatted correctly;
- has a great contemporary design;
- is easy to operate;
- is mobile-responsive;
- is SEO-friendly and SEO-optimized;
Just send us an email and we’ll be more than glad to help!